Glen Lake Park
1211 Church Street
Decatur, GA 30030
- City of Decatur
- Hours of Operation:
- Varies by season -- call Tennis Center at 404.377.7231
- Decatur Recreation and Community Services Department (404.377.0494)
- On-site parking lots
- Glenlake is the largest park in the City of Decatur. Located just a few blocks from the Courthouse Square, this park offers a range of recreational opportunities. Like all City of Decatur parks, it is well-maintained, and this park is particularly well-utilized by local residents. Many people drive to the park (there's a good bit of parking), but many also walk. A paved and lighted pathway (photo, right) cuts through to nearby Glendale Avenue. The park shares a boundary with the historic Decatur cemetery, which provides a peaceful and pastoral place to walk.
- Swimming pool (in season), 5 lighted tennis courts (see court rules), small tennis center, 2 sports fields, basketball court, picnic pavillion, picnic tables, children's play structures, swings
- This is more a utilitarian park than an aesthetic one. The parts visible from the street (beyond the very unaesthetic privacy fencing) include the swimming pool and tennis courts. There are a couple of naturalistic areas further back in the park, but on the whole, if you are looking for a beautiful spot where you can enjoy nature, this is not the park for you.
- There are a few areas where you can exercise your dog -- particularly smaller dogs, but remember Decatur laws require dogowners to keep their dogs leashed and under their control while in City parks (or on the street), and to clean up after their dogs, so don't forget your baggie!
- Playground Equipment:
- Swings and play structure
Take a virtual tour of nearby homes for sale on showing247.com
A paved path leads to nearby Glendale Avenue
Glenlake has a popular swimming pool (photo taken in winter)
Glenlake Park's has five lighted tennis courts and a tennis center
There are 2 sports fields -- the upper field is outfitted for soccer, and the lower field
The picnic pavillion has grills and tables -- it's next to the basketball court and children's play area